Daily life can get busy, which means we often forget to pay proper attention to little things that could potentially cause big problems. Appliances are a common use in every home – and oftentimes we use appliances multiple times a day. We’ll share effective ways that you can practice as part of your daily routine to prevent potential hazards. It only takes one time to start a fire, so the few extra seconds or minutes over the course of the day will be well worth it!
- When it comes to any appliances that emit heat, such as a computer monitor, screen, clocks, tv, etc. make sure to provide ample space around the appliance so that it does not overheat. Normally a few inches would be enough space to allow for around these appliances.
- Don’t attempt to fix any appliances yourself, and always read through instructions if you decide to do the initial set-up yourself.
- While you may know that all electrical appliances should be kept away from water, consider any vents that could also potentially leak. Make sure that your electrical appliances are clear from any spot close to a vent.
- When using power cords to increase range of use for lights, always make sure that there are no frays or kinks in the cords.
- Always make sure that the power cords are tucked under the rugs and out of the way so there aren’t any trip hazards.
- It may be convenient just to grab whichever power cord you see at the store, and going about your shopping trip to complete your shopping list. Take the time to match the power cord to the length and weight that you will need.
- Be careful with outlets when using power strips so that they don’t become overloaded!
- When it comes to light bulbs that you use in your home, consider trading out for energy efficient bulbs.
- Match the light bulb wattage to the fixture. Using one that emits too much light for the fixture is a possible fire!
It’s always important to make sure that your electrical panel is operating efficiently and safely. Call Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical to perform a thorough scan throughout your home, looking for any hot spots in your electrical system. We will also test the ground fault outlets to make sure that they are functioning properly. This is especially important for any outlets near water or other hazards!
Give us a call today Call to schedule your appointment today at 800-461-3010.