This is the time of year when most of us see skyrocketing energy bills and are reminded of our to-do list when it comes to checking and maintaining our heating systems. Here are some of the big items to put on your list:
- Change the filter at least every three months. Change it every 1 to 2 months if you have pets or people in the house with health issues such as asthma. Filters prevent larger particles from entering the system, which would reduce airflow. In addition, a dirty filter exposed to condensation can become damp, meaning mold could be a concern. Make sure to buy the right filter for your particular system.
- Check that your air ducts and pipes are properly sealed. Ducts are used to distribute conditioned air through the house. Typically about 20 to 30 percent of the air that moves through the system is lost through leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts, which means high energy bills!
- Remove any dirt or corrosion, and keep the heat exchanger clean. Check manufacturer’s details for what you’ll need. This is best done by a professional if you aren’t sure of what you’re doing.
- Lastly, an easy tip you or a family member can do is to keep air vents clear and keep furniture away from them.
- Of course, regularly get your unit serviced by a company you can trust, like Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical! Start 2017 off right by calling us.
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24 hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!