It may be hard to think about when it’s still so warm out, but cooler weather will be here before we know it. And that means it’s time to get your home ready to keep those energy bills low and your family warm. Here are a few ideas to help you do just that:
• Have your heating system checked by a professional. While you’re at it, make sure to check your heating ducts for any leaks.
• Look for areas where air can leak out of your house. An easy way to identify the location of drafts is to light a candle and move it around windows and doors to see where it flickers. If you do find holes, seal windows with caulk and buy stick-on weather stripping from the hardware store to fix drafts around your doors.
• Ensure you are properly maintaining your wood burning fireplace and it will be one of the easiest ways to reduce your energy bills. So don’t forget to stock up on that firewood!
• Close the damper on your fireplace if it’s not in use. The chimney allows warm air to escape the room.
• Insulate your attic if you haven’t already done so.
• Purchase a water heater insulation blanket from your local home improvement store. Though these specialty blankets don’t look like the blankets we use in our homes, the idea is the same. This is a surprisingly affordable and smart purchase because it keeps heat in and the hot water heater does not have to turn on as often, saving you money
• Insulate the water pipes. Look for uninsulated hot water pipes along the walls or ceilings. If you don’t know which ones they are, put your hand near them to feel the heat. Polystyrene insulation is an easy fix as it slips on over the pipe and helps the water heater to not work as hard, keeping the warmth in longer.
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24 hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!