July is an appropriate time to talk about humidity! Those of us in North Carolina can feel the humidity every time we step outside. But what about the humidity inside your home? The humidity level of your home has a direct effect on your health and comfort and your home’s health.
Recommended humidity levels
During cold months, there can be problems if humidity levels get too low. In summer, there is risk of humidity levels being too high. It turns out that high humidity doesn’t just lead to bad hair days!
Problems with high humidity
- Mold thrives on high humidity. Mold attracts insects and can also cause health problems for you and your family. The CDC recommends controlling humidity in order to control mold.
- Too much humidity can also trigger allergies and create dust mite problems.
- Humidity can ruin the paint on your walls and can even warp the wood, in extreme cases. If the excessive humidity in your home creates mold, this mold could set into the carpet as well.
How to regulate humidity in your home
A dehumidifier will increase the comfort level of your home by pulling moisture from the air. This will allow you to sleep better at night and will help prevent mold, dust mites, insects, etc. There are a few other things you can do to minimize the humidity in your home:
- When you are cooking, use your vent fan
- If possible, use colder water and keep your showers short
- Minimize the number of plants in your home to keep humidity levels down
- Always use the exhaust fans in your bathroom while showering
- Consider installing a fresh air intake duct in your home
Your air conditioning unit will play a significant role in the amount of humidity that is in your home. It needs to be sized properly for the square footage of your home, otherwise it won’t be running efficiently. When your air conditioning unit is sized correctly and maintained properly, it will be pulling the humidity out of your home while it’s running.
Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical can install a dehumidifier directly to your heating and cooling system to ensure optimal comfort during the hot summer months. It’s also important to have your air conditioner maintained regularly. Your air conditioner should be dehumidifying the air as well, so it’s important to make sure it’s running efficiently.
Call to schedule your appointment today at 800-461-3010.