The holiday season has officially started, and for many of us that includes plans to travel. Unfortunately, criminals know that many of us travel during this season, too. So, how can you keep your home safe while you are away? While there is no guarantee, there are a few simple things that you can do to try and deter criminals. Here are a few tips to keep your home safe while you are away:
- Keep shrubs and bushes in front of windows trimmed so that burglars can’t hide behind them.
- Keep several lamps and a radio on a timer so that they come on and off during the day. Or purchase a WiFi-enabled outlet and turn them on and off from wherever you are using your smartphone.
- Stop your mail and newspapers as these are a sure fire way to broadcast that no one is home. Mail can be stopped by visiting usps.com.
- Never broadcast on social media that you are traveling. Instead wait until you get home from your trip to post those pictures of the people and places you visited. Consider turning off locator services on social media if you plan to post while away.
- Advise local law enforcement that you will be away and ask them to check your home periodically.
- Participate in the buddy system with trusted neighbors. Agree to watch each other’s homes while either of you are away. A simple walk around the property can detect any problems early.
- Leave exterior lights on during the night, and consider installing sensor lights that will come on automatically.
- Keep holiday gifts out of sight of windows, and never put boxes out at the curbside that tip off criminals to high priced electronics in the home.
Follow these tips to deter criminals from your home this holiday season. We at Central Carolina want to encourage you to take a moment to nominate your favorite hero for our “Heat for Heroes” contest that begins today! We are giving a ceramic heater to 100 deserving heroes in our community.
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24-hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!