It’s not something we like to think about, but with a home burglary happening every 13 seconds in the U.S., it’s a good idea to take simple steps to deter criminals. Here are some good starter tips:
- Lighting is crucial. Install plenty of lighting all around the outside of your home. This goes beyond just turning on the front porch light every night. It is a good idea to have floodlights with motion sensors on every side of the home. You can also use timers that turn on at dusk and off at dawn. If you don’t have electrical wiring in some areas, hire an electrician or consider battery operated LED lights.
- Speaking of lighting, keep some lights on if you won’t be home for a long time so that it appears someone is home. A TV or radio isn’t a bad idea either. You can even use a timer to mimic human activity.
- It is easy to leave windows open for much longer than intended when you just wanted to get some fresh air in during those stuffy winter months. Make sure to always close them and lock them back up.
Some additional tips:
- Use a heavy-duty deadbolt on your front door.
- Store your valuables in a heavy safe, or even fasten it to the floor.
- If you don’t have a safe, at least keep your valuables out of sight.
- Don’t advertise what valuables you’ve recently purchased with their boxes sitting out by the trash—people can easily spot that big TV box and know what you have inside your home!
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24 hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!