Do you know when to try DIY plumbing and when to opt for a professionally licensed plumber? The difference often comes down to the size and scope of a job. Simple fix plumbing jobs and repairs can usually be handled by a homeowner or someone with basic handyman skills. However, there are times you need a licensed professional, too. Let’s look at the difference so you know when to call a professional plumber.
DIY or Basic Handyman Jobs
The first step in deciding who to call for a plumbing job is to assess the severity of the situation. Smaller, non-invasive fixes are jobs for a handy homeowner or handyman plumbers. These include fixes dealing with toilets, showerheads, sinks, and other smaller plumbing fixtures around the house, but not cutting walls.
Consider DIY or a Basic Handyman when:
- You have a minor clog
- A new faucet, toilet, or showerhead needs to be installed
- The faucet needs repair or replacing
- You have leaky faucets
- A garbage disposal needs installing
- You have a repair that doesn’t require cutting into the wall or floor
- Your toilet handles or arms are broken
- The toilet seat is broken and needs replacement
- The flapper or other toilet tank pieces need fixing
There are times when you need a licensed professional plumber for the job. Most of them have years of training or apprenticeships to learn the trade, and as a result, will save you time and money in the long run.
When to call a professional plumber:
- You have no water in the house
- There are burst pipes
- There are major sump pump problems
- You have a rapid drainage line leak
- You have a rapid water supply line leak
- The bathroom needs a remodel
- A supply line needs installation or replacement
- A tub or shower needs installation
- Clogged pipes that won’t correct with a drain snake
- You have a sewer line leak or gaseous odors
- Your water heater has a natural gas leak
- There are issues with water temperature or gas pressure
- You have plumbing repairs that require cutting into the wall or floor
If you need to call a professional plumber, the experts at Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing, & Electrical can help. Call 800.461.3010 for assistance.