Many of us are already turning on the heat—and this is just the beginning of the fall and winter season. When it’s cold outside and your bills start skyrocketing, all you want to do is warm up your house. While it can be tempting to come up with alternative heating solutions, some ideas you may consider can be unsafe.
Though an open flame has obvious safety concerns, carbon monoxide exposure has its own dangers. Persistent carbon monoxide exposure can actually cause memory loss, severe lung injury, brain damage and even death. You can never be too safe when dealing with a substance that can be so dangerous. So how do you keep your house safe?
- Grills, generators, and any burning devices that run on gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal should not be used inside the house — not even in the garage or basement, or an area that is only partially enclosed.
- Do not burn anything in a stove or a fireplace that is not vented.
- A common cause of winter fires — as well as carbon monoxide poisoning — is heating your home with a gas oven. This is very unsafe and should not be done.
- If you use a space heater, it should be properly vented while in use, according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Do not run a car or truck engine inside the garage that is attached to your house. This is unsafe even if you have left the door open.
- Make sure to have carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and just outside of any sleeping areas.
- If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, you’ll want to move quickly outside and call 911.
- Even if an alarm doesn’t go off, if for some reason you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous, get medical help quickly.
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24 hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!