It’s a major headache when your dishwasher stops working. Dishwashers save time and are convenient for families, especially at the holidays! We have listed some of the common dishwasher problems and plumbing issues with ideas for how to fix them yourself.
How to Prevent Common Dishwasher Problems
Even when your dishwasher is problem-free, it’s a good idea to pay attention to the way it operates. Here are some dishwasher plumbing maintenance tips that could prevent a problem from occurring down the line.
- Make sure you are using the right kind of dish detergent, because the wrong type of detergent can clog the drain in your dishwasher. The manufacturer’s directions will tell you which kinds of detergent you can use before you try a new kind.
- Listen to the dishwasher while it’s on. If you know what your dishwasher sounds like when it’s working correctly, a problem arising will get your attention more quickly. Identifying one early is always best. Humming or clanking sounds might indicate a problem with the drainpipe or the motor.
- Pay attention when you are loading the dishwasher. Anyone can run into issues loading the dishwasher, especially if they’re in a hurry. Overloading and arranging dished haphazardly are common mistakes. Check the appliance manual for instructions about loading your dishwasher if you are ever unsure.
The Dishes Aren’t Clean
There are a few different situations that could cause your dishes to not get clean. Here are some factors to consider.
- Is the float switch dirty? If so, the solution may be a bit tricky and you may need to call a professional. You will need to take the dishwasher apart and clean the float switch and the surrounding components. The switch might also just be stuck, which is something worth checking out.
- Are you using the wrong detergent? Again, check the manufacturer’s instructions regarding what kind of dish soap you should be using. Sometimes, a fix as simple as changing the dish soap can cure the problem! It is really important you use the correct detergent because it can lead to other issues as well.
The Dishwasher Won’t Drain
Is the dishwasher draining? If not, try these steps to identify the problem.
- Check to see if there are any blockages at the bottom of the machine. Sometimes food or utensils can fall in and block the drain.
- Inspect the drain hose. Check for any kinks in the hose or if the garbage disposal is too full. If so, your dishwasher’s ability to drain might be impacted.
Still Having Dishwasher Plumbing Problems?
These tips can certainly go a long way toward helping you keep your dishwasher running well. If you need additional guidance, you might consider reaching out to a plumbing professional. Call Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing, & Electrical at 800.461.3010 for professional assistance.