Is your AC Unit Running Constantly?
As we approach the warmest months of the year, some people may be experiencing an air conditioning unit that runs on overdrive. Now is the time to troubleshoot and figure out why your air conditioning unit is running constantly. Depending on the problem, you may be able to fix it relatively quickly. If it’s a more difficult problem, then at least this troubleshooting can pin point where the problem is stemming from so a professional can fix it.
We’ll walk you through the possible reasons why your air conditioner may be running constantly:
- The first reason why your AC unit is running overtime is because the unit is improperly sized. If the unit installed in your home is too small, then it’s really going to work overtime to cool down your whole home. This causes it to work harder and longer than it should, which will wear down the unit over time. Also, your home will never be cooled to the desired level, even when the unit runs constantly. If your air conditioning unit is too large, then it won’t properly remove the moisture from all the air in your house. As a result, there will be an additional output of moist air in your home. Even though the unit will run less, it will use more electricity than required which will spike your energy bill.
- Another common reason why your unit runs all the time is because it could be installed wrong. There is a direct correlation between the duct work and the size of the unit being installed. If the ducts are the wrong size, then they won’t be able to equally distribute air flow to your home.
- It’s possible that the air conditioning coils could also be covered in dirt. If there are grass clippings or an excessive amount of mud or pet hair covering the coils, it will affect the air flow. When the air flow is affected, it will diminish the overall performance of your air conditioning unit. This can also cause your unit to run constantly.
- Your air filter could have something to do with the unit running on overdrive. When was the last time that you changed the air filters in your home? If it’s been a long time, then the accumulated dirt on your filters could be preventing proper air flow. This is a common cause for AC units breaking down. It’s important to clean your air filters every month so that your unit doesn’t work harder and overheat as a result.
- If there is poor insulation in your home, this could be causing your unit to run all the time. Poor sealing or insulation will cause all that cool air to leak from your home, which will require your unit to constantly run and make up for that lost cool air.
Call Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical to come out and perform a tune-up on your AC unit! We can also inspect your condenser and evaporator coils. Both require maintenance to ensure that your system is running efficiently. It will also help reduce the cost of your energy bills since your system will be running properly after our inspection and tune-up! We will also come out and check your insulation for any small holes or non-insulated walls.
Call to schedule your appointment now with Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical at 800-461-3010
You look up and see a blinking light on your thermostat, “CHANGE FILTER.” Don’t ignore it! These filters protect your indoor air quality, meaning, they keep you and your family healthy! And by keeping them clean, it will save you money on heating and air conditioning in the long run.
So do you call a professional or start looking up DIY YouTube videos? According to the professionals, if your filter is accessible and you feel comfortable getting to it, you can check to see its condition. The filter looks like a large windowpane. And you should replace it with the same size you already have. However, there’s no need to stick with a certain brand as long as the filter fits correctly. It goes in the same way the old filter was removed and it should be a snug fit. You can also use a permanent marker or pen to write the install date on your new air filter. That way, you won’t have any questions about when you need a new one the next time.
You should change out the standard 1″ wire media air filter every month depending on your lifestyle, especially if you have pets. But there are other types of media air filters that are thicker and take out a higher percentage of dust and contaminants. These filters usually have a longer service life. There are also electric air filters that electronically zap the contaminants and sterilizes the dust mites that survive in climates with relative humidity over 50%.
Benefits of Changing Air Filters:
- Extends the life of your unit- systems can overheat if air filters aren’t clear and clean which can shut down your entire unit!
- Keeps Energy Costs Down- if your filter is clean, your unit doesn’t have to work as hard, using less energy to heat and cool your home!
- Keeps Pet Dander and Allergens at bay- keep your air cleaner by getting rid of unwanted pollutants!
- Keeps your system clean- don’t let unwanted dirt, dander and other things clog up your system which can cost more in repairs!
When shopping, look at the MERV (minimum efficiency reporting value) number, which ranges from 1 to 12. The higher the number, the better the filtration is. If your filter is in an area where you’re not comfortable reaching it yourself, call Central Carolina Air Conditioning. They will check it out for you and replace it if needed. To schedule an appointment, call Central Carolina Air Conditioning at 800-461-3010 or request a repair.
The holiday that marks American Patriotism is around the corner, and often a time of gathering and celebration. If you’re hosting a celebration this year, don’t get overwhelmed just yet! We’re here to share some helpful tips that will make hosting an enjoyable experience!
- Prepare in advance. When it comes to the 4th of July, or any holiday, food is the primary staple that brings people together. Many delicious food options can be prepared days in advance. Consider frozen treats – perfect for summertime – or sauces that can be created in advance for BBQ and chicken.
- Focus on drinks. In the heat of summer, one thing that everyone will be looking for is a good drink to keep them cool. Enhance any flavored beverage by adding strawberries, blueberries or raspberries to highlight the patriotic celebration.
- Make the most of seasonal fruits. Not only are berries a great option for adding to drinks, but there are many seasonal fruits that can serve as decorative center displays or as fruit treys for people to snack on.
- Keep it simple with prewrapped cutlery. Create an assortment of white, blue and red cutlery and a napkin stay consistent with the red, white and blue theme.
- Add festive décor. Don’t break the bank to make your home look festive. Add a few patriotic flags, some red, white and blue balloons paired with some colorful streamers and your home will look like you’ve spent lots of time and money prepping for the big celebration!
Now that your home is decorated and food is prepped, do a final check to so that you’re ready to fully accommodate your guests. Make sure that your plumbing is properly working – including your toilets and sink faucets. Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical can perform dye tests on all your toilets to ensure that there are no water leaks, which equate to money wasting. If your toilets are connected to a septic tank and there’s a water leak, then you could be wasting even more money! We can also check all faucets in your home and all exposed hot and cold water lines to identify and repair any water leaks in your home.
Give us a call today Call to schedule your appointment today at 800-461-3010.
Summertime is around the corner, and it’s a good idea to start preparing for the delicious yet simple recipes that you can make for your family. There are so many creative and yummy recipes that will involve minimal use of the oven and therefore less heat emitted in your home during the hottest months of the year. Enjoy these healthy summer cooking tips that reduce energy in your home that are good for you and your home.
Now is the time to maximize on the seasonal products that abound at any of your local farmers markets or food stands around town. Here are some ways to make the most of seasonal foods, optimize cooking time and create delicious yet nutritious meals!
- Create a weekly meal plan based off weekly specials at the grocery store and farmer’s market. Activities usually ramp up during the summer months, and this will minimize the stress of worrying about meals with all the carpooling, vacations and activities you have going on.
- Use thinner versions of carbs, like lighter pasta alternatives such as spaghetti squash, carrot pasta or cauliflower rice.
- Load up on the veggies. Make use of your garden produce if you have one. Otherwise, make the most of the local farmers’ produce to create an array of colorful and tasty entrees.
- Bring out the alternative cooking tools such as your crock pot, rice cooker and microwave oven. Eliminate the extra heat of the oven by using these cooking appliances that save on heat and time! Throw your meals in the crock pot in the morning and enjoy dinner when you walk in the door!
It’s not enough to simply keep the oven off during the summer months to keep your home cooler! Make sure your air conditioning unit is functioning properly and efficiently so that you and your family can fully enjoy your home cooked meals in a comfortable and cool environment. With more than 50 years of experience, we can provide any service that your unit needs. Whether it’s preventative maintenance, full replacement, or air conditioning enhancing products and services, we will quickly respond to your needs. Avoid the discomfort of unbearable heat that summer can bring by giving Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical at 800-461-3010.
Our homes are where we often spend majority of our time. The lighting we use should be fulfilling the purpose, function or feel that want in each room. Lighting may not be something that you’ve given much thought to, but it powerfully impacts everything you do, whether you realize it or not. Lighting can make you feel awake and alert, or it can put you in a relaxed and calm mood. We’ll cover the different functions of lighting, and how they correspond with the purpose of each room in your home.
- General/Ambient Lighting is typically considered as the room’s natural light and works to light up the whole room. Various forms of lighting can be categorized as ambient lighting, such as a pendant light, track lighting or a chandelier.
- AccentLighting Is there something in a specific room that you’d like to draw attention to and highlight? Maybe it’s a special painting or a bookshelf. Accent lighting will highlight the specific piece or part of the room that you want to focus on.
- Task Lighting – as the name suggests, task lighting serves a purpose to help you stay focused an accomplish something, whether it’s reading a book or working on a project.Instead of creating a warm ambiance, it does quite the opposite by providing brighter light to ensure you stay awake and focused.
As you keep in mind the mood and purpose for each room in your home, you’ll be able to determine which kind of light will optimize the purpose for each room. Below is a general guideline for the lighting that is best to include in each room:
- Kitchen: Combine the use of task lighting and general lighting. The kitchen is often the heart of the home, so you’ll want to provide general lighting that will brighten the space where people often gather. Inlcude some task lighting in the form of track lighting under the countertops so that you’ll have extra visibility to any cooking you need to do on the counters.
- Living Room: Another common gathering area that will require general lighting in the form of a ceiling light. Add a couple lamps in the corners for those times when you want to create a warmer ambiance.
- Bathroom: Select lighting that will accurately show skin tone color – this is the room where you get ready, so the lighting should be accurate for getting ready and applying makeup.
- Bedroom: This is the room in your home that should avoid task lighting. The room where you sleep should be filled with warm lighting that will put you in a relaxed and ready state for bed.
While you’re looking for energy efficiency in lighting, why stop there? Let us check your electrical outlets and components to make sure your home is safe. Also, make sure your whole home is efficient by scheduling a cooling maintenance! Among the many services we offer, we can install a Power Attic Ventilator to reduce air conditioning costs by forcing very hot air trapped in the attic and replace it with cooler air outside. Your unit will run less during the hot summer days, which will result in energy savings for you! Call Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical to schedule your appointment today at 800-461-3010.
Although you may not be able to predict and prepare for any sudden problem in your home, there are certain lengths you can and should go to that will allow you to respond quickly to these problems. Instead of having to run to the closest hardware store every time something breaks in your home, you can be prepared with a tool kit that will help fix most of the minor problems that could arise.
Drills and Bits – Buy a battery-operated drill and a variety of different sized drill bits, and you’ll be all set for multiple fix-up tasks!
Wrench set – Used to unfasten and fasten bolts, a wrench set is a necessary staple in any homeowner’s set.
Hammer – The size of the hammer head should match the size of the nails you buy with it. So a bigger hammer is best used with larger nails.
Tape Measure – This will come in handy during many situations, from measuring your windows for a new set of blinds, to checking square footage of rooms.
Utility Knife – Definitely a necessity – a utility knife will allow you to effectively open any package or box.
Pliers – Used for gripping pipes and twisting wires.
Safety Items – Anytime you perform tasks that require the tools above, it’s best to use the appropriate safety items like gloves, eye goggles, and ear plugs.
Caulking Gun – Use your caulking gun for any gaps or holes that may appear, such as windows or door frames or for filling in holes around your bathroom or shower!
Screw driver set – A variety of screw driver sizes are useful for changing air filters, electrical outlets, cover plates or adjusting furniture and fixtures.
Refer to your tool box to handle all the minor fixes needed in your home. While this tool box will have you prepared for any unexpected minor repairs, you’ll definitely need professional assistance to fix the unexpected larger repairs such as a plumbing or electrical problem. Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical will be there 24/7 to help!
Give us a call today Call to schedule your appointment today at 800-461-3010.
Trees, plants and grass are releasing pollen this time of year, and with that comes the biggest trigger of seasonal allergies. Although you’re not able to fully cure allergies, there are natural and medicinal remedies you can explore to alleviate these symptoms. How do you know if you’re one of those that falls prey to relentless symptoms from allergies? An allergy specialist can help you find out through providing a skin or blood test.
If you are one of the many struggling with allergies, what are the ways to reduce the aggravating and inconvenient symptoms? There are many forms and variations of medicine – both prescription and over the counter drugs. Among these options are Nasal sprays, decongestants, Antihistamine/decongestant combos, eye drops, under the tongue immunotherapy tablets and allergy shots. If you’re looking for a more natural medicinal remedy for your allergies, nasal irrigation is a preferred choice by many.
Medicine isn’t the only method to combat allergy symptoms. There are many other ways you can try to avoid pollen. Pollen spreads quickly when the wind is blowing, so it’s recommended that you stay inside as much as you can on days when the wind is especially strong. This effort may be in vain if you have pollen accumulating INSIDE your home. Maybe it’s time to focus on your home environment and clean the air that is constantly being inhaled by you and your family members.
Dust and vacuum on a regular basis to collect and rid your home of the pollen particles floating around. Doing a monthly change of your air filters will also prevent the accumulation of dust. While cleaning pollen away is helpful, it’s best to go straight to the source of the pollen release before it even lands on your floors and furniture. When is the last time you’ve had your duct system cleaned out?
Every time your air conditioner is running this spring, it is pulling animal dander, pollen, dust, and other airborne contaminants into your duct system. The pollutants are then circulated throughout your home every time the system runs. Let Central Carolina Air Conditioning make your home more comfortable and healthy, by providing an extensive cleaning of your HVAC system. Not only will it help your allergies, or the allergies of family members, but it will also help your pocket book by saving on energy bills!
Call to schedule your appointment now with Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing & Electrical at 800-461-3010.
With the first day of spring behind us, it’s that time of year again! Over the course of the winter months, your home has inevitably accumulated some dirt and is in need of spring cleaning. So, where do you start and what areas of your home need the most attention? The to-do list can seem daunting, and it may be tempting to put off. Your cleaning list will include quick tasks and some tasks that will require a little more time and attention. For starters, let some air fill your home by opening the windows!
This is the best time of year to go beyond the typical floor washing and vacuuming in your house. Let’s go over some of the uncommon chores that get overlooked the rest of the year. Ceiling Fans and vents are probably well overdue for a cleaning. Once these are cleaned, the walls and baseboards can get a good washing. Although you may frequently wash your bedsheets, the mattress cover and pillows should also be washed at least once a year to get rid of any allergens. This is also a really good time to have your air conditioning unit serviced as we change out air filters to help keep allergies at bay.
Life gets busy, and most of the time it may seem hard enough to just get the kitchen cleaned.
If you can set one day aside to devote to the yearly clean-out, your whole home will look, feel and run cleanly and efficiently. After lots of wear and tear, your sofas may need some spot-cleaning or vacuuming. The lamps and ceiling fans in every room should also be dusted. Humidifiers can actually make your home sicker, if they aren’t cleaned occasionally – add this to your list of once-a-year cleaning.
Now is the time to pull everything out of your closets that you can toss, store for next year, or donate.
When it comes to the exterior of the home, it’s time to wash the thresholds and the siding of the home. Make sure the doors and windows receive some TLC as well by giving them a good wash. Finally, in an effort to welcome springtime in the triad, sweep off your porch and walkways.
You’ll want to get your air conditioning unit serviced now before the dog days of summer start! Let Central Carolina Air Conditioning Plumbing & Electric inspect and clean your A/C units to keep your unit in warranty and keep your family safe! Preventative maintenance as important for your A/C unit as it is your car! Read all the services we perform on your unit here.
Air conditioning units should last for 15 years or more if properly maintained. Most of us, though, aren’t taking the steps we should to take care of this important and expensive part of our home.
Change the filter at least once every few months—more if you have allergies or asthma or have pets. A dirty filter restricts the airflow, reduces the cooling capacity and makes the compressor worker harder and run hotter, Basically, it shortens the life of the unit. This is an easy thing to remember to do!
Twice a year, a professional should come to clean and inspect your system. This should include washing your outdoor unit, a leak check, replacing the filter, checking the drain line, and checking that all the components are using the proper amount of electricity. The duct system and the safeties should also be inspected.
Don’t change the temperature all the time. This may be tempting to do each day depending on whether or not you’re home, or perhaps because you’re trying to get a fast cool down. This is not good for your system, has to work harder to drop the temperature during the lows. That is a lot of wear and tear. You may want to consider other ways to get cooler faster, such as fans, keeping the blinds and curtains closed, and limiting the use of appliances that generate heat such as the oven.
Get an energy audit. Units work much harder than they should because of air leakage. This means more money out the window. Make sure that after this is done you seal up everything properly to make sure the air is no longer escaping.
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24 hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!
You can save energy—and save yourself from some headaches—if you can extend the battery life on your cell phones and tablets. These simple steps can make a big difference.
First off, check your battery use in your settings to see what your phone or tablet is doing. On most phones you can see a breakdown of what is consuming your battery. Usually, you can see the percentages.
Turn off any services you don’t use all the time, such as Wi-Fi, or GPS. Are these items running in the background even if you’re not using them? There are even apps to help you manage what programs run automatically.
Turn down the brightness. Most of use can see the screen without the high brightness. You can even put your device on night time mode set to certain hours of the day, which not only helps save battery but also—if it’s a warmer tone—this can help you sleep better because of what your eyes are looking at! Let’s be real—you’re still going to check your phone. So, at least put it in this mode to help your brain turn off.
Activate the lock screen after a minute or two of inactivity.
This is an easy one: remove your device from the charger and unplug the charger when the device is fully charged. If you don’t want the hassle, try a power strip so you can unplug all the items at once. This is great for those who have several items to charge. “Phantom Loads” waste more energy than you’d think and ultimately, more money!
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24-hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!