A dishwasher is one of the most-used and convenient appliances in any home. However, it may be too rough for some of your favorite kitchen items. So, if you’re wondering “Is it dishwasher safe?” then check out our list. Stay tuned to the end. We’ve also included many items most people wouldn’t think are dishwasher friendly! Did you know you can clean outlet covers, car mats, nail clippers and garden tools in there?
If you ever have doubts about washing a particular piece in the dishwasher, even if it’s generally considered dishwasher safe, check with the manufacturer.
In general, these items are dishwasher safe:
You’ll still want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations. Some types of leaded crystal can etch over time.
Sterling silver or silver plated
You should not mix sterling silver or silver-plated silverware with stainless steel flatware. This can cause a reaction causing permanent pitting of the sterling.
Generally, okay. But, antique or hand-painted patterns may fade. You may also see gold-leaf patterns to discolor or fade.
Glass is dishwasher-safe.
Aluminum is safe, but repeated exposure to high heat and detergents can affect the finish of anodized aluminum.
Stainless steel is safe.
Plastics are safe. Place plastics in the top rack.
These items are generally considered not to be dishwasher safe:
- Pewter, brass and bronze
- “Good” knives
- Disposable aluminum
- Disposable plastics
- Bottles and cans
- Cast iron
- Hollow-handle knives
- Wooden ware
- Nonstick pans
- Insulated mugs
- Anything containing adhesives
Surprisingly, some household items, as long as they don’t break the rules above, can also be cleaned in the dishwasher. These include fixtures, bathroom accessories, personal care items, sports items, car accessories, kids’ toys and garden tools.
- Exhaust fan filters and covers
- Kitchen sponges and brushes
- Silicone oven mitts and trivets
- Microwave turntables
- Refrigerator shelves and bins
- Light fixtures
- Switch plates and outlet covers
- HVAC vent grates
- Desk accessories
- Soap dishes and toothbrush holders
- Rubber tub mats
- Shower poofs, sponges and brushes
- Hairbrushes and combs
- Manicure and pedicure tools
- Plastic toys and building blocks
- Pacifiers and teething rings
- Pet toys and food bowls
- Collars and leashes – excluding leather
- Shin guards
- Mouth guards
- Golf balls
- Baseball caps – Purchase a form to help the cap hold its shape.
- Garden tools
- Flower pots
- Grill grates
- Rubber boots
- Flip flops – Not for shoes with fabric cording or leather.
- Keys – Remove electronic keys or openers.
- Rubber floor mats
- Cup holders
Need professional help with your plumbing or electrical needs? Call Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing, & Electrical at 800.461.3010.