Today there are plenty of “greener” choices when it comes to your home. Whether you’re trying to help the environment or just want to save money, here are some ideas to get you started.
- Switch to CFLs or LEDs. They cost more up front but use far less energy and last much longer. Plus, incandescent bulbs are being phased out in stores.
- Take a look at items that are constantly using energy in your home while plugged in, such as kitchen appliances, computers, chargers, printers, etc. It only takes a moment to unplug!
- If you’re in the market for new appliances, look for the Energy-Star seal. They may cost a bit more up front, but using these can slash a third of your electric bill!
- Insulate your attic. The attic can be as much as 50 degrees warmer than the other parts of the house. You can also look into an attic fan, which will help reduce the amount of energy spent on heating and cooling.
- How many of us really know what is in the cleaners we use? Typically, it’s a bunch of stuff we can’t even pronounce. It’s easy to make safe, homemade cleaners out of vinegar, water and baking soda.
- Seal gaps around doors and windows. You can save 10 percent on your electric bill by installing weather stripping to fill the gaps. You can choose from cheaper foam rolls or the more durable plastic option.
- Fix leaky faucets and toilets. Not only is wasted water literally going down the drain, but also these issues should not be ignored, as leaks can lead to more costly repairs in the long run. For example, your pipes may end up needing to be replaced.
- Install low-flow showerheads. According to the EPA, showering accounts for nearly 17 percent of residential indoor water use. Look into low-flow toilets as well. These are the main source of water in the home– nearly 30 percent of
Have a concern with your electrical, plumbing or air conditioning? Central Carolina Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical is here to help! We offer 24 hour emergency service 7 days a week! Give us a call! 1-800-461-3010 to speak with our customer service agents that can answer your questions or schedule an appointment!